1 Dec 2010
Wolfgang Wagner
The thing I like most about travel is the constant challenge to discover something new and cope with the unforeseen

After now 60 days on the road, 17 flights, 15 different hotels in 14 cities and 60164 km flown, it´s time for some reflection on the quality of the services received. It purely reflects my personal opinion and obviously is highly biased, but nevertheless might give some indications for those who have been following this blog for the last nine weeks.

My business card

In most of my valuations, I have refrained from pointing out the “worst case scenario” (excemptions prove the rule) and tried to be as neutral as possible in my judgements.

Best Dinner: In Barcelona with my friend Jorge – fresh seafood, nice wine

Worst Dinner: Restaurant Millesimés, Paris – bad service, mediocre seafood, expensive, no charm resto

Best Hotel: Langham Place Hotel, Hong Kong  – Brilliant location, perfect rooms, nice service, wonderful club lounge, great    Spa — my absolute favorite in Hong Kong

Smallest hotel room: Holiday Inn, Vantaa airport

Noisiest hotel room: Hotel Nasco, Milan

Most charming city: Barcelona

Most interesting city: Hong Kong

Most boring city: Duesseldorf

Most polluted city: Beijing

Worst concierge: Sheraton Hotel New Delhi – always grumpy, only wanted to sell hotel services which were expensive

Best value for money hotel: Hotel Viktoria, Duesseldorf

Cleanest city: Geneva

Most expensive internet rate: Marriott Hotel Manchester – 15 pounds per day

Best airline business lounge: Escape Lounge at Manchester airport

Worst hotel breakfast: Hotel Leidse Square Amsterdam – coffee and juice out of container, food not eatable for 10 euros

Best public transport: Hong Kong

Cheapest public transport: Beijing – 20 cents wherever you go

Quickest check-in and security check: Shanghai

Best scenic flight: Delhi to Helsinki – clear skies with superbe views on Himalaya mountains, Afghanistan and Turkmenistan

So far so good folks – this has been a great journey with its ups and downs. 9 weeks non stop is a long time and some places are for sure more exciting than others, but thanks to your support we stayed in the race and hopefully provided some interesting entertainment for you all.

Thank you to all of you for your comments being them positive, neutral or negative – they were all valued. Hope you enjoyed it – so long!!

Tags: | |
Comments
  1. Great post Wolfgang,

I also enjoyed following your long journey, on a daily basis when time permit!

I know the worst post made on your blog:-)) Easy to identify!

But what’s your best post in your opinion and the best post made by one of your fan? Don’t tell me where all great…lol

The offer for the Iphone 4 remains open.

Have a great rest with your family and a nice Xmas.

Pat

Patrick LARBUISSON, Wednesday, December 01, 2010 09:50
    • Thanks – really enjoyed your company.

Best

wolfgang

Wolfgang Wagner, Wednesday, December 01, 2010 09:58
  2. Thanks for sharing Wolfgang. I hope you enjoyed yourself, and look back in future with very fond memories of your quality hunter travels.
    Before you sign off, here are my qs…
    1) What was your single favourite experience, and was it because the experience was in some way a ‘quality’ one?
    2) Did you learn anything new about quality (eg did something in particular surprise you and make you wonder why it isn’t applied elsewhere. I guess I’m thinking of cultural factors influencing what quality is)?
    3) Are you now more ‘passionate’ about quality, less, the same?
    Again, thanks,
    Michael

Michael C, Wednesday, December 01, 2010 10:03
    • Hi Michael,
      also enjoyed your company. To your questions:
      a) My stay in HK at the Langham Place – was up at the Club level and the guys up there just made everybody feel at home, were always in a good mood, tried to their best whenever you wanted something, felt really genuine.
      b) In different cultures quality means different things e.g. for Chinese quality in service is measured by the number of people you deploy against a thing, in Europe we like it when things work without needing to address staff all the time.
      c) I have been always quality related – but during the trip I started to think a bit more intensely why things are working or why not.

Best

wolfgang

Wolfgang Wagner, Wednesday, December 01, 2010 10:32
  3. Hi Wolfgang,
    Great job to you, wonderful time to us,the readers.
    Thank you and best wishes!

dana mocrei, Wednesday, December 01, 2010 16:19

best

Wolfgang Wagner, Thursday, December 02, 2010 08:09
  4. Hi Wolfgang,
    Thanks for the write-ups. I really enjoyed them and learned from them. Now I know where not to go (India) and where to go (China). The folks at Chandigarh will not issue me a visitor’s permit until I show them an Indian visa and the Indian embassy will not consider my application for visa until I show them my permit to visit the Capitol Complex. You have saved me the visa fee. Those are the two places I have not been even though I have been everywhere else from Iceland to Istanbul.
    Thanks,
    Rafique Islam

Rafique Islam, Wednesday, December 01, 2010 18:05
    • hope you will be able to make it some day

take care

Wolfgang Wagner, Thursday, December 02, 2010 08:08
  5. Hi Wolfgang!:

Too sad reading the final blogs……but everything has to come to an end someday.

Before saying goodbye to you i would like to ask you a few questions…

1)Is there something that you will miss the most about this adventure?

2)From all the places that you visited, where would you spend your christmas or new year’s eve?

3)What did you learn about this experience (in a personal way)? Would you do it again if you could?

4)What are your plans for the future?

Hope you had a wonderful adventure being a quality hunter! At least i did enjoy it reading and following you.

Wish you all the best in the future and hope you have a wonderful christmas and wonderful 2011.

Greetings….

Mariel

Mariel Fuentes, Thursday, December 02, 2010 03:41
    • Dear Mariel,
      a) I will probably miss the daily feedback from my blog as it is always interesting to hear what people think about your writing
      b) HongKong
      c)It is tough do be out there always alone –
      d)enjoy life with my family

take care

Wolfgang Wagner, Thursday, December 02, 2010 08:07
  6. Hi Wolfgang – my new (daily) friend! be sure, we are going to miss you. Working in travel business for a very long time – it has been a joyable trip to follow you and to learn more.

People working in travelbusiness should better know their value by giving service and beeing the “face out” for the company they serve. One person can spoil everything by having a “bad day”when again a smilinf face can safe a lot.

I liked your writings and it is difficult to choose the best. Anyhow I hope Finnair is satisfied with this experiment and learned something new. Thanking you and wishing you and your family all the best – I say goodbye!

Kerstin, Thursday, December 02, 2010 05:11
    • thanks for following me – will also miss your comments

best

wolfgang

Wolfgang Wagner, Thursday, December 02, 2010 08:04
  7. Would be intersting to read in, say, a year’s time, if and how these weeks have changed each of you long term. Obviously quality awareness wise, but in any other way too. And would be good to read what you all think if you ever all get together after this to bounce experiences off each other.
    Again, many thanks Wolfgang :-) . Hope you have a lovely Xmas with your family and friends back home…

Michael C, Thursday, December 02, 2010 11:20
    • Thanks to you as well – has been a pleasure

Wolfgang Wagner, Thursday, December 02, 2010 11:22
  8. Dear Wolfgang

Thanks for the joy, the excitement, beautiful photos and the interesting comments you have brought to us all!

Peter Brusch, Thursday, December 02, 2010 17:50
    • Thank you – glad you enjoyed them – take care

Wolfgang Wagner, Friday, December 03, 2010 19:48

By voting for your favourite hunter you are participating in a draw for intercontinental flights to/from Asia for two.
Voting ends 2 December at 12:00 GMT+2.